After being devastated by the loss of a pregnancy following a FROZEN IVF cycle a year ago, our focus has changed to being cautiously optimistic for a new FRESH IVF cycle. Wanting a different result this time, we decided to make some different choices in our final attempt at achieving a pregnancy. So, here you will find our "Fresh Never Frozen" journey. Hopefully, one day our last addition will find just how much he or she was wanted.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
Transfer Day!!!
Today was a long awaited day for our family! The morning got crazy getting my son out the door to school, my mister having to run into work, finalizing bed rest preparations, picking up another last minute prescription, and then racing to be at the clinic by 10 am. We checked in, I began drinking my 32 oz. of water to fill my bladder, and then we talked with the embryologist. He had walked by a few times while we were waiting and I was convinced his expression was going to bring us terrible news about only one embryo surviving and that the quality wasn't very good, which would mean our chances of pregnancy were slim. I was totally trembling when we finally talked to him. He reported that two of the six embryos had survived. One looked awesome and one looked pretty good. He recommended and we decided to put both embryos in. He said I should get pregnant and that we have a 50/50 chance of twins. I felt a little stressed that there were not any extra to freeze to help take some pressure off, but then realized I was being greedy and needed to focus on the positive, which has been hard for me since this process failed for us last time. I think my acupuncturist noticed I needed to absorb everything, because she had me pop my Valium (the only medication used for the transfer procedure) and filled me up with acupuncture needles to calm me and my uterus. A "quiet" uterus is important for the embryos. By the time it was time to go to the transfer room I was calm and all cozy wrapped up in a warm blanket. The procedure is only about 15 minutes and using ultrasound the embryos are dropped into the uterus by the reproductive endocrinologist and embryologist. We even watched
on the big screen while our babies were drawn up from their lab tubes, filled into the catheter, and then the doctors do a countdown to coordinate placing the embryos and removing the tube. On the ultrasound screen you couldn't see the microscopic embryos but you could see two flashes of light where the medium surrounding the embryos shows up. The worst part of the entire procedure was the full bladder! By this point I'm totally feeling the 32 oz. I drank an hour prior to the procedure, but I have to lay flat another 15 minutes or so. Then, regardless of the fact that I feel like I'm going to leave a mess on the floor, I'm nervous about standing up and disturbing the embryos. My nurse compares the transferred embryos to two grains of sand in a peanut butter sandwich. Repeating that to myself, I shuffled to the bathroom. To be sure my uterus is happy, I had one more acupuncture treatment before going home and getting in bed. Now the waiting begins and it's all up to the embryos to implant into their new home! Here is their first picture:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment