The retrieval went well today. I'm a little crampy, but Tylenol is doing the trick. I also had a nasty wave of nausea earlier in the day, but the anesthesia seems to be making its way out now. We are still nervous and awaiting our phone call tomorrow morning regarding our fertilized embryo count. For today, we know that about 12 embryos were retrieved but only about half were mature. Higher numbers would have been more comforting, but for now we are grateful to have any and hope for just one to make it to the blastocyst stage. Last time we lost 75% of our embryos on day 3, which was so disappointing. We're hoping that this batch are better quality embryos that will do well in the lab until it is time to transfer them back home. It was hard to leave the clinic today, I wanted to stand over them in the lab and tell them they can do it!;)
My favorite moment of the day was a reminder that through all of this I have been in good hands. After they wheeled me into the surgery room away from my mister, my doctor came in right before I fell asleep. Despite, the 5 other people (anesthesiologist, nurse, U/S tech, and two embryologists) in the room, he took my hand, and asked how I was doing. I was freezing, which might partially be a nervous reaction for me, and he quickly grabbed two blankets and tucked me in head to toe. I so appreciated that and drifted peacefully off to sleep. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery and my mister said I was just as chatty as could be and very repetitive. He does a great imitation. So funny, because I don't remember talking to anyone!
The next several weeks are stressful! It's just a daily waiting game to see which embryos survive and then waiting to see who implants. Honestly, I think I would prefer a zillion shots a day and getting to this point rather than the constant worry that we now face! Regardless of how busy and distracted I stay, from today until the first pregnancy test (which should be June 6th) time will stand still. Hopefully, we will wake up to positive embryo news tomorrow morning, which would be great!
No comments:
Post a Comment