Sunday, January 13, 2013

12 days to go . . .

But who's counting???;)  Just a quick update on the twins.  Last week we had a little scare and actually thought the twins might be on their way.  My parents had their bags packed and it even looked like the twins and I would share a birthday on Friday.  The week prior my ultrasound appeared that both placentas were looking a little low on amniotic fluid.  (I have a history of this from my first pregnancy 8 years ago, so it's certainly something to watch.  My son had to be taken at 37 weeks as his fluid level became inadequate.)  Then, last Thursday my doctor did a more detailed ultrasound himself to decide what we should do.  We were all prepared for him to say that the babies needed to come out, as had happened with my son, but he felt like there was adequate fluid to let the twins grow two more weeks.  My doctor has delivered babies for 30 years, even has his own set of twins, so I fully trust his judgement.  The babies also passed their fetal non-stress test with flying colors that day.  While, I'm back on Tuesday for another check, the c-section has been scheduled for January 25th!  Both babies are breeched and have been the entire pregnancy, so this makes the decision pretty easy.  I have had very few contractions and zero cervical changes, so it looks like we will make it to the 25th.  At that point, I will be 37 weeks and 2 days, which for twins is considered full term.  We are pretty certain both babies are over 5 pounds now and will hopefully each put on another pound in the next 12 days.  Just to keep each placenta well perfused for ultimate blood flow to the growing babies, I have been put on baby aspirin (helps open capillaries), increased fluids (at least 2 liters of water/day), a daily tub bath with the water above my belly (buoyant babies also help with circulation), and 6 hours a day laying on my left side (this has been the hardest thing for me to get in).  One thing I've noticed with twins is there is no "nesting" energy spurt at the end.  I have zero energy!  Breathing and walking are not my friends right now!  While there is an end in sight to all of my aches and pains, my body (knees and hips especially) is done!  My list of things to do is long, but most days I have to accept defeat and know that I still have 12 days to work on things even if it's just one check off my list per day.  My mister has been busy doing a lot that I can't do, so that has helped a ton!  While I probably won't have my house as perfect as I want, I'm pretty sure the twins won't ask why I didn't get to the baseboards.;)    

No comments:

Post a Comment